The Mediation Process
WHAT IS MEDIATION?
Mediation is a process in which the parties meet, (sometimes together, sometimes separately) with a mutually selected, impartial and neutral person who assists them in the negotiation of their differences. Mediation can be a very helpful process to negotiate family issues.
WHAT DOES A MEDIATOR DO?
- Helps clients clarify their interests and concerns
- Works to ensure that there has been a full disclosure of all relevant and important information
- Helps clients to generate options for resolution
- Assists clients to understand the context and consequences in which they are making decisions regarding the negotiated outcomes
- Helps with communication challenges and provides a path for better future communication